Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thoughts on Healthcare

Several months ago, I blogged that the federal government did not have a right to require healthcare. To revisit that post, click here.


I was happy to hear that both Idaho and Virginia both passed legislation barring the federal government from forcing healthcare on its citiczens. It will be interesting to see how many more states stand up and do the same thing.

Last night, after the disasterous vote, my wife and I were talking about it over a cup of coffee. I am still of the belief that this will go to the Supreme Court and be marked as unconstitutional on the basis that it is overriding states sovereign rights. My wife is much more cynical and thinks there will be a lot of backroom deals to save healthcare.

Then my wife said something and I think it is so true and probably something that has been in the back of my mind for quite some time.
"This whole thing is not about healthcare. This is about Obama and his need for some sort of legacy. That is why he did not care what procedures they used or what payoffs were in the bill. He has a need for a legacy and he does not care what it takes."

To put this in context, my wife is not political. She cares for the country and votes every election cycle, but she does not follow this stuff like I do. It frustrates her. She would just assume read a book or watch 30 Rock than talk about or watch political news. I on the other hand could watch C-Span.

It got me thinking. If my non political wife gets it, does the rest of the public? If so, will they show up in the polls in 2010 and 2012?

There are still a lot of questions that need to be answered and frankly, I do not know anymore what will happen. But there are some things that you can do. Contact your state rep and senator and tell them you want a healtchare freedom act, similar to Idaho's. Push the states to declare themselves free of this atrocity. If enough states get on board, the Supreme Court will have to hear us.

No comments: