Sunday, November 22, 2009

Does Atlas Need to Shrug?

To those that have not read Atlas Shrugged, this post may not make much sense. If you have not read the book, you can find a summary here but I recommend that you borrow or purchase a copy and read the book. It is a must have for any personal library.

I sat here this week, working on some research and watching the news. Constantly I would ask the question why? Why does the government see fit to punish the successful? Why does the government see fit to reward the lazy? Why does the government meddle in affairs that have nothing to do with them? Well, you get the point. These were questions that poured through my head as I researched our local politicians and some of their positions. This past year, it has been getting bad at an exponential rate. Then last night, I saw the Senate and how they paid off one senator to reach the necessary 60 votes.

After seeing and hearing all of this, I thought to myself, is it time for Atlas to shrug. Is it time for those with wealth to go on strike? Would the government finally get the answer if they did? Next year we have another set of elections and I look out our current candidates and wonder, is this it? Will these men and women do what is right for us, or for them? Will they do what is right to create smaller government or will they kowtow to those that will not and do not have or attempt to offer anything to business or society?

Over the past few weeks, I have taken to reading the comment sections of some articles on websites such as ABC.com, USAToday.com, NYTimes.com, etc. I have seen comments made referencing Atlas Shrugged that almost seemed like communication from one another. Maybe it is already happening, or maybe it is just people trying to make a point. I don't know. What do you think?

No comments: